<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thehaasmachine.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the haas machine: Tuna Zucchini Cakes

Friday, March 15, 2013

Tuna Zucchini Cakes

Oh tuna.

I've been on a non-stop hunt to find scrumptious tuna recipes my whole life. Although I do enjoy a simple cold tuna sandwich or a crispy, bubbly tuna melt every now & again, that's about as far as my tuna adventures have gone. I would be willing to make a good old fashioned tuna salad every now & again, but John has a strong dislike (hate?) of all things cold-noodle-mayo-salad-based. I can't blame him... most of them aren't very good (especially when drenched in mayo, or even worse... sweet tasting Miracle Whip).

Sweet salads are really a nightmare around here. You know what I'm talking about. They always end up at summer BBQ's because a BBQ doesn't seem right without one, when in fact it's the salad that just isn't right. How on earth someone decided to put fruit + jello + cottage cheese together & then have the guts to call it salad is beyond me. We avoid food like this at all cost & I shudder a little bit every time I think about it.

How this relates to tuna, I'm not sure.

I found this recipe on Pinterest one time when I was especially determined to find more creative ways to eat tuna. I wrote a little bit about it in this post & now I'm finally getting to posting the recipe. They really are quite the yummy meal- Ruby loves them, I love them, & John doesn't get super excited about them (but does willingly eat them). They also freeze very well, so it's a great option for a quick, nutritious lunch when I'm trying to lure Ruby away from her usual peanut butter & honey sandwich.

Do you have any savory tuna recipes that you share? Post in the comments below!
Served with sweet potato wedges
Tuna Zucchini Cakes
Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 can light water-packed tuna, drained & flaked
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs or wheat germ
1 cup shredded zucchini
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil

Directions
In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion & cook until tender. Remove from heat. 

Add the tuna, 1/2 cup bread crumbs or wheat germ, zucchini, eggs, parsley, lemon juice, salt & pepper to onion mixture; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into six 1/2-in.-thick patties & coat with remaining bread crumbs.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown & heated through.

Recipe taken from Taste of Home

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home