<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thehaasmachine.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the haas machine: Wednesday's "What We Ate May 20-26, 2013"

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wednesday's "What We Ate May 20-26, 2013"

I do some pretty strange things when my family starts feeling sick. Things like eating raw garlic cloves & sticking garlic oil in our ears. We take vitamins & run salt water through our sinuses & use homeopathic medicines. We eat lots & lots of healthy foods; ones packed with healthy nutrients & gut-friendly probiotics. We sip tea with local honey. We sleep. We rest. We hibernate.

I'm actually working on a more extensive post with more of the things we do to prevent sickness & help it pass without using lots of medicines filled with artificial dyes & unnecessary interventions. I'm convinced that most of the time, what our bodies really need is good nutrition, fluids, & rest & that modern medicine often gets in the way of our bodies natural ability to heal. I'm obviously not a dietitian or an expert on natural medicine, but we do some things that have really helped us feel better naturally, so I'd just like to share our experiences with you. I'll let you know when it's ready to post (** update: it is linked above).

What made me think of this is that this past week, Ruby & I have both been fighting a cold. No matter how much you try to prevent sickness, sometimes it just happens. She's had a runny nose most of the week & has been up coughing a lot at night. I've had a lot of pressure in my sinuses & have been really low on energy. I've been trying to baby us a little back to health & prevent any further sickness (namely ear infections for her).

Our meals were simple this week, but tasty. I'm still obsessed with sweet potato hash, so I made that again. My family came in to town for the holiday weekend, so we were able to eat out a few times with them & enjoy grilling one of the days (it was raining, but oh well). Most of the meals I prepared were quick ones because we've been busy with band practice, pre-marital counseling, family, bachelor parties, & an herb class (more on that later). This next week our meals will be just as simple, as it's another busy, busy week for us. Hopefully it will be less snotty.

What do you like to eat in the midst of a busy/sick week?
Wednesday's dinner: chicken Caesar salads with roasted garlic & whole wheat pitas

What We Ate May 20-26, 2013
Monday: Venison tacos (corn tortillas, avocado, cheese, tomatoes, bell peppers) with watermelon
Tuesday: Mushroom & onion omelets with pineapple & whole wheat toast
Wednesday: Chicken Caesar salads with roasted garlic & whole wheat pitas
Thursday: Sweet potato hash with caramelized onions, sausage, & eggs with whole wheat toast
Friday: Sandwiches from our co-op while we were at our farmer's market
Saturday: We ate out with my family
Sunday: Grilled chicken with asparagus & fresh salad (lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, soy nuts)

I also made a batch of crockpot yogurt this week.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At May 29, 2013 at 7:42 AM , Anonymous Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen said...

Ohhh my goodness, whole cloves of garlic in a salad?! Great idea!

 
At May 29, 2013 at 9:37 AM , Blogger Gillian from The Haas Machine said...

Oh it's amazing. Use whole unpeeled garlic cloves, cook with olive oil for a few minutes & then peel before you eat them!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home