<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thehaasmachine.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the haas machine: (Triple) Guinness Dark Chocolate Brownies

Sunday, April 28, 2013

(Triple) Guinness Dark Chocolate Brownies

For the first 2 or 3 years of knowing John, I was set on the idea that carrot cake was his favorite dessert. I'm not sure how this idea got planted into my head, but it definitely swam around in there for a few good years. Because of this, I think I made him 3 years of birthday carrot cake. Each year, he would get mildly excited (I mean, who doesn't love carrot cake, especially when there aren't any raisins!) but I never saw the response I was looking for.

Now if you know John, you know that he's not exactly the most emotional man ever. Even when he totally loves the taste of something, all you really get in response is a good head nod & maybe an extra drawn out "mmm." If something is out-of-this-world scrumptious, he might even slap his knee or yell, "yes!" but I've only ever seen that on a few rare occasions.

In 2011, I actually asked him if carrot cake was his favorite & I was boarder-line horrified to discover that it was not. What the what!? Was it my favorite? What was happening? He then proceeded to list all of his other most favorite desserts. Among them were boston cream pie, anything with dark chocolate, boston cream pie, & anything with dark chocolate (I'm sure there were more things, but I immediately ruled out anything that started with "Little Debbie's"...)

So for his 2011 birthday, I slaved over a boston cream pie & it was awesome. In 2012, I baked him a chocolate pecan pie & it was fantastic. This year, I decided (on his request) to embark on these Guinness dark chocolate brownies.
I don't think I even need to tell you how these tasted, but I will. They were simply the most rich, decadent, deep, dark, fudgy brownies I have ever tasted. They require 3 times the amount of Guinness as other brownie recipes, but that's what makes them so incredible. You cook down the Guinness until it's all syrupy & even more stouty (is that a word?) They actually reminded us a bit of a flourless chocolate cake (another one of John's favorites it seems).

I dare you to not eat these with a large glass of milk, or at the very least, some black coffee.

And just in case you are in need of a carrot cake recipe, check out this post on one with no sugar that I made for my step mom for her birthday in 2012. I think carrot cake is her favorite, but then again, maybe I made that up too.

(Triple) Guinness Dark Chocolate Brownies
Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
8 ounces dark bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup demerara sugar
2 bottles Guinness Extra stout beer
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick foil, or regular foil, lightly greased (I was a little freaked out by this, but after texting my baker friend Lindsay, she assured me that this would help the brownies come out of the pan easily, so that I could make perfect squares. Genius!)

Pour both bottles of beer into a medium saucepan, & simmer on medium heat until it's reduced down to 1 1/4 cups. If you keep a glass measuring cup nearby, you can check the progress when you think you're close. It should take about 45 minutes. When it's been reduced, pop it in the fridge to cool down while you prepare the rest of the batter.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, & salt until evenly combined. Melt the butter, bittersweet chocolate & dark chocolate chips in a double-boiler over very low heat, stirring constantly until melted (or in the microwave in a glass bowl). Remove from the heat. 

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs & sugar on high speed until light & fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the melted chocolate mixture, beating until combined. Beat the reserved flour mixture into the melted chocolate mixture. Whisk in the reduced beer mixture & the vanilla (it might seem a bit thin, but it will turn out). Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan & drop the semisweet chocolate chips evenly on top of batter.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes on center rack in the oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Let brownies cool, uncovered, to room temperature. Dust with confectioners' sugar if you want before serving.

Recipe adapted from Blondie's Cakes & Things

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home